As the weather warms up, we all want to get outside and enjoy it! When daylight is limited, it can be tough to decide between working out inside the gym or relaxing in the sunshine. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive, though – try these ways to fit in your physical activity while playing outside and you can enjoy the beautiful weather without missing your workout.
Even better, you can take the opportunity to play outside as just that: time to go back to your playful childhood days when you stayed out ‘til dark. Here are some outdoor exercises you could try, some serious and some just to have fun and get your body moving:
- Go for a walk.
- Go for a jog.
- Go for a run.
- Ride your bike.
- Go window shopping downtown – make it into a scavenger hunt!
- Play catch with a baseball or a football.
- Look for a nearby park with a walking path and fitness stations to test your strength with various obstacles.
- Walk to a friend’s house for a visit.
- Lay out your yoga mat on the lawn.
- Intersperse your walk/jog/run with 30-second intervals of bodyweight exercises like skipping, lunges, burpees, pushups, or anything else you can think of.
- Take your dog to the dog park and run around with him/her.
- Climb every set of stairs you can find on your walk.
- Use a park bench or picnic table for step-ups, jumps, or inclined pushups.
- Play tag.
- Play volleyball, basketball, soccer, street hockey, tennis, or another sport.
- Go surfing.
- Jump rope.
- Return to your childhood and play hopscotch.
- Swim in a local lake.
- Grab some friends and do relay races in the backyard – do moves like running, crab walking, and leapfrogging.
So throw on some shorts and get outside to enjoy that sunshine! What are your favorite ways to get exercise outside?